Tuesday, April 28, 2015

DIY T-Shirt Butterfly Wings







My oldest daughter came to me a couple days ago and said that she wanted to dress up as a butterfly for her Spring concert at school; instead of simply wearing a yellow, green or brown t-shirt as her teacher had suggested she could do.

With not much time before her concert and it only being a Spring concert, I figured that I could make her something that would work. I didn't want something too flashy, as I wanted her to be able to blend in with her classmates.

It is actually quite simple to do...

To make the wings: Take 2 XL  adult t-shirts, which can be found at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Walmart {I used old black t-shirts from my husband's closet, which was a win-win for me, I got free shirts & he got rid of 2 of his old shirts} 

I cut each one as shown using each sideways shirt as a wing





Sketch a butterfly wing design onto a piece of poster board {I stared at my computer screen as I sketched to get the correct shape}



Cut out the design to make a stencil { You will flip the design over when painting the 2nd wing-so you will only need one stencil}



Lay the stencils out onto one of the wings. Be sure to have the curved piece of the t-shirt at the top left of the stencil & spray with spray paint


I used Yellow Krylon Short Cuts spray paint and once that was dry I gentle brushed over with FolkArt Extreme Glitter acrylic paint. What girl doesn't like a little glitter?




Gently remove the stencil - pulling directly upwards so not to smudge the paint.


Flip the stencil over for the 2nd wing and repeat. {This will allow you to have identical wing patterns}


Now, it's time to get ready to sew...First, cut the front center then sew along the following lines shown





I completed the sewing by cutting a "V" shape in the middle of the back section.  





Lastly, using left over strips of your unused t-shirt to sew finger loops which will help hold the wings down the arm. You will attach them at the end of the top seem.





If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...