Friday, July 8, 2016

Why Am I Arguing With A Two-And-A-Half-Year-Old?


Have you ever had a moment that you argued with your child(ren) and then think to yourself, why I am arguing with a child?  You know your right .  Your more educated and know more about the topic and life in general.  So, why do you need to prove it to them?  Do you want to educate them on the topic or just make a point and set them straight?  

I found myself doing this very thing!  She's two-and-a-half!!  Why am I arguing with a two-and-a-half-year-old?  First off, let me share a few things about my two-and-a-half-year-old, she is the youngest of four children, so she is very intelligent for her age and a "do-it-myself" kind of girl. She also is very strong willed and stubborn.  Nevertheless, I just did not have a good reason to debate back and forth with her.  The more I thought about this topic the more I realized, she and I would often debate and negotiate back and forth.  Actually, the more I really thought about it...I realized that she attempts to boss me around and treat me the same as she treats her older siblings.

As all parents know, their children are very different little people. With my youngest, I have had to learn to parent all over again. She is nothing like the older children.  She can be this little ball of anger at times.  She yells demands and this is how our debates often begin.  I just want her to stop yelling and stop demanding things, so I negotiate with her. Until, I have reached a point that we just begin to argue. I know that I should not engage with her, but on occasion, I do and I don't know why. 

So, when my husband came home the other day and showed me a YouTube video featuring the comedian Louis CK describing the behavior of his 3 year-old and an argument that he took part in with her, I am intrigued. As I am hearing Louis talk, I am not only doubled over with laughter, but appreciative that someone was actually talking about what I have experienced and felt. I somehow felt vindicated!

*WARNING* This video does contain A LOT of adult language, but is extremely relate-able and hilarious





I would love to hear about your toddler moments.  Please share them in the comment section.


XOXO    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...